Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Speech and School

Daniel is now 7 years old and is in 1st grade at a school for children with special needs! He has a class of 5 and 2 teachers who are great for him. He gets very attached and will run to them and jump in their arms. As his mother that makes me happy and I feel like he is in good hands. The thing that seems to help him most is the routine of going to school. I see steady progress when he has a good routine going.
He is still at a 2 year old level in speech and drawing so it is difficult to communicate with him. He can't explain how he feels so we have to watch his behavior to see what's going on with him. He still can't say I love you but if I tell him I love him sometimes he will give me a kiss.
Many autistic children aren't affectionate but Daniel is and I am so glad! It helps because if he is upset he can't express himself but I can hold him and he calms down and feels comforted.

No comments: